[Forbidden Books] Depression Discussion

It's a new year! This is the first Action Project of 2022 and it is a Humanities one. The Humanities class for this term is called "Forbidden Books." In this term, we plan on taking a deep dive into the books that have been forbidden for one reason or another. For this unit though, we have been researching Socrates. We watched a video about what he believed in and how he would and did die for his beliefs. We read his "Apology" that he used in his trial. which was recorded by his student, Plato. We then discussed some of the core beliefs of our society and attempted to define them. Based on this, we each chose a topic to discuss with a partner, one of us being Socrates and posing thoughtful questions that would spark growth in the other character, Meletus's mind. I worked with N.M. and we chose the topic "Happiness." I played the Socrates character, who was happy, and N.M. played the Meletus character, who was depressed. We attempted to portray how one could grow past the depression by looking inwards and finding out what you truly need to move on. Without further ado, here is the final culmination of our work!


Script:
Socrates: YOU THERE, why do you look like someone stepped in your sandwich?
Meletus: I hate life! Don’t you!???? 
Socrates: If one has nothing to be sad about, why should one be depressed?
Meletus: You should be sad because if you took one second to look around the world you’d see in an instant that there is nothing worth being happy about.
Socrates: What is there in this world to be sad about?
Meletus: Everything! Poverty, sexism, homophobia, There is nothing to be happy about and everything that might be okay dies over and over until you too die.
Socrates: If we are all going to die, why not spend the precious time we have left productively?
Meletus: Well, because everything will just disappoint and fail.
Socrates: How do you know everything will disappoint and fail?
Meletus: A couple times,  my wife left me and then she died. I refuse to believe that anything in this world could be even remotely blissful.
Socrates: How long ago did your wife leave you?
Meletus: It’s been 50 years now.. (long pause) I visit her grave 3 times a day. Life never gets easier, believe me.
Socrates: What would happen to you if you stopped following this routine?
Meletus: Well, I’m not sure because I’ve never tried. (says crying)
Socrates: Is your whole life like this, one large routine? 
Meletus: Well, every day I have breakfast, lunch, and dinner with my dead wife, and in between, I type all day and all night. 
Socrates: Have you ever thought about maybe mixing up the status quo a bit? Adding some spice to your life?
Meletus: Oh, I guess I haven’t….I should do that. You've helped me realize how stupid I’ve been, thank you. 
Socrates: I haven’t done anything at all. What have I done, except make you look inside? 


Comments

Popular Posts