[Rhetoric] Informing The Public

 This is the first full Action Project of the year! The first unit of my Humanities course, Rhetoric, is called Suppose. We have been attempting to define and understand rhetoric past the most common use for it. We have been filling out our "rhetorical toolbox" which is filled with the greek appeals, Ethos, Pathos, and Logos. It is also filled with rhetorical devices such as metaphors and anaphora. Finally, it is filled with parts of the rhetorical situation, such as the Speaker or the Purpose, that explain every aspect of the rhetoric. We have also been talking about housing and how it is a big issue in Chicago as well as the government in Chicago. For this AP, our goal was to create a flyer that would convince people to contact their local government officials and have them help solve the issue. Here's mine!

Explanation:
In the first paragraph, I attempt to appeal to logos by giving the 50 million people statistic as well as the metaphor of snowballing. That metaphor is also meant to appeal to pathos because many people can sympathize with living paycheck to paycheck and having no safety net. In my second paragraph, I appeal to logos again with the statistic and pathos with the gas station example. This could also appeal to ethos because it shows I have experienced the inflation I am talking about. In my third paragraph, I appeal to logos with the statistic, I use an analogy with the statistic and the number of people you meet in your life, and ethos showing that I know housing is an issue because I observe the homeless people myself. In my fourth paragraph, I appeal to pathos using anaphora in the final sentence. The goal of this flyer is to get wealthy people to feel bad and donate to homeless organizations, as well as middle class people who perhaps were once homeless or in danger of being homeless.

Sources:

“Effects of the Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic (CPS).” Bls.gov, 23 Sept. 2022, www.bls.gov/cps/effects-of-the-coronavirus-covid-19-pandemic.htm.

“Current US Inflation Rates: 2000-2022 | US Inflation Calculator.” US Inflation Calculator |, 23 July 2008, www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/current-inflation rates/#:~:text=The%20annual%20inflation%20rate%20for,ET..

“Hourly Minimum Wage Rates by Year - Fair Labor Standards Division.” Illinois.gov, 2019, www2.illinois.gov/idol/Laws-Rules/FLS/Pages/minimum-wage-rates-by-year.aspx.

‌“Estimate of People Experiencing Homelessness in Illinois - Chicago Coalition for the Homeless.” Chicago Coalition for the Homeless, 20 Sept. 2022, www.chicagohomeless.org/estimate-of-homeless-people-in-chicago/#:~:text=Chicago%20homelessness,to%20the%20COVID%2D19%20pandemic..


Comments

Popular Posts